Also described as algology in some spheres, phycology is the examine of algae; members the the tree kingdom.
Although they lack stems, roots, and leaves frequently found top top terrestrial plants, algae serve vital role as main photosynthetic tree in freshwater as well as being a source of food for various organisms in aquatic environments.
Algae named "Gephyrocapsa oceanic" by scanning electron microscope Photo by NEON ja, fancy by Richard Bartz
For this reason, it has end up being increasingly crucial to learn around these organisms and also the role they pat in your ecology. In law so, that has likewise become feasible to find out the influence of birds on life in general. This is an especially due come the reality that except aquatic environments, algae have the right to be discovered in almost all environments across the globe.
* The native "Phycology" comes from the Greek native "Phykos" which method seaweed.
* Cryptogamic plants and also consequently, flowering tree originated from algae (prokaryotic algae).
The advance of phycology (as a field of study) might be divided into four major phases that include:
Phase 1 - Greek works of Theophrastus and Pedanius Dioscorides - This phase concerned an end in the 18th CenturyPhase 2 - 1800 to 1880 - west sciencesPhase 3 - beforehand 1950Phase 4 - This is the modern-day phase the phycology that started in the 1950s
The group of algae has proved to it is in a facility process that has actually experienced numerous revisions over the years. Number of systems have likewise been proposed based upon different elements of the organisms.
This ar will represent the classification of algae-based on four significant categories.
Prokaryotic algaeEukaryotic birds - separated into three teams that include:Chloroplasts surrounded by double membranes (belonging to the chloroplast)Chloroplasts surrounded by a solitary membrane (of chloroplastic E.R)Chloroplasts surrounding by a double membrane (of chloroplasts E.R)
Read an ext on chloroplastic here.
Group 1: prokaryotic Algae
This is the very first group the algae and consists that cyanobacteria (Cyanophyta). Return cyanobacteria are very closely related to bacteria together opposed to algae (eukaryotic algae), they are likewise classified under the blue-green algae.
Cyanobacteria is the just organism share in this group and are characterized by their capacity to bring out photosynthesis v the use of chlorophyll a (while some have b and also d).
* although cyanobacteria are contained as a team of algae in some books, this classification remains controversial.
Group 2: Archaepastida
Eukaryotic algae whose chloroplasts space surrounded by two membranes of the chloroplast envelope.
This team is comprised of 3 phyla the include:
· Glaucophyta - A small group of unicellular algae uncovered in freshwater. Photosynthesis occurs in a amendment endosymbiotic cyanobacteria.
· Rhodophyta - This is a team of red algae and consists of over 7,000 figured out species. Photosynthetic pigments the Rhodophyta are collectively arranged in the phycobilisomes. Contrasted to few of the various other groups, Rhodophyta is among the oldest groups amongst eukaryotic algae.
· Chlorophyta - Are eco-friendly algae the contain chlorophylls a and b. Members that this team are in some books referred to as seaweed.
Micrasterias-light microscope,Desmidiales. Desmidiales,green algae,approx.40 genera,5,000 species, uncovered mostly,not exclusively,in new water. Http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zieralgen by Ajburk
The chlorophyll of algae in this team is surrounding by a single chloroplast E.R membrane.
Also recognized as Rhizaria, this team is consisted of of two phyla that include:
· Euglenophyta - Euglenids room freshwater flagellates that contain chlorophylls a and also b. Castle are additionally characterized by strips of proteinaceous pellicle located beneath the plasma membrane.
· Dinophyta - Is a environment-friendly algae normally uncovered in seawater (however, lock can likewise be found in freshwater). They likewise contain chlorophylls a and b and also in your environment, feed on smaller protists and bacteria. Prefer Euglenids, Chlorarachniophytes also possess flagella. However, some space amoeboid in nature.
· Apicomplexa - This team is mostly composed of parasitic alveolates the are characterized by one apical complex structure described as apicoplast. This is an essential structure for the organisms that allow them come penetrate and infect the host. See likewise Order Piroplasmida.
Microalgal societies Date:11 august 2008,Source http://www.scienceimage.csiro.au/image/7234 by CSIRO
Also referred to as Chromista, team 4 is created of algae whose chloroplasts space surrounded by a double membrane of chloroplast E.R.
As contrasted to the other groups, this group likewise carries the majority of subgroups (phyla) the include:
· Cryptophyta - Members are typically found in freshwater atmospheres (but can likewise be found in marine habitats). Like many other algae, they likewise contain chlorophylls a and b. However, castle are, for the most part, defined by a planarization shape and their anterior groove.
· Heterokontophyta - Members of this group are recognized as heterokonts and also significantly vary in size. Because that instance, multicellular kelp and also unicellular diatoms space all discovered in this category. They additionally possess a flagellum because that movement and also chlorophyll a and also b for movement.
· Prymnesiophyta - Members have two flagella because that movement and chlorophylls a and also c because that photosynthesis. Lock are defined by scale-like fucoxanthin located external the cell.
· Phaeophyceae - multicell brown algae generally found in the naval cold waters in the north Hemisphere.
· Chrysophyceae - are golden-brown algae frequently found in freshwater habitats. They additionally possess 2 flagella used for movement.
· Phaeothamniophyceae - Members of this group are golden-brown in color and also may show up filamentous, coccoid or pseudofilamentous in shape.
· Synurophyceae - part members have 4 surrounding membranes. Lock are likewise characterized through fucoxanthin and also chlorophyll a and also c and also are frequently found in fresh water.
· Xanthophyceae - Yellow-green algae frequently found in freshwater. However, some varieties can likewise be found in other environments (marine and soil). Motion is made feasible by the existence of a solitary flagellum or in some cases, filamentous structures.
· Eustigmatophyceae - This is a little group whose members have the right to be discovered in various habitats (freshwater, marine, soil). This group is likewise characterized through unicellular biology that space surrounded by a polysaccharide wall.
· Raphidophyceae - typically known as chloromonads, members of this group uncovered in both fresh and marine environments. Likewise composed the unicellular and multicellular organisms that lack cell walls.
· Pinguiophyceae - consists of a variety of uncellular cells organisms uncovered in maritime environments. Lock are characterized by a high concentration of fat acids whose hydrocarbon chain has several carbon-carbon dual bonds.
· Bacillariophyceae - composed of diatoms typically found in such habitats as soil and also oceans.
· Dictyochophyceae - also known as silicoflagellates, members the this group, i m sorry are small in number, are commonly found in maritime habitats and move indigenous one ar to one more using flagellum..
· Bolidophyceae - With about 20 identified species, this group is composed of aquatic organisms the are defined by a flagellum the is positioned at an angle
· Pelagophyceae - composed of heterokont algae generally found in marine environments. They also variety from filamentous to single-celled organisms that relocate through the usage of flagella
Return to Algae main page
Return to multicellular Organisms and also Unicellular Organisms
Return come learning about Prokaryotes and also Eukaryotes
Return native Phycology come dearteassociazione.org home
report this ad
G. R. South, A. Whittick. (2008). An introduction to Phycology.