So, you left your container the Gorilla™ glue on her workbench after her last residence repair product and also your dog found it. You’ve just uncovered the container chewed up and also some glue might be missing – not a entirety bunch, but some. Since it doesn’t look like lot is missing, that no large deal, right? Actually, it might be a very big deal!

What’s In It?

*
Gorilla™ Glue and other similar adhesive assets contain compounds called diisocyanates. The American Chemistry Council supplies this definition: “In use since the so late 1940s, diisocyanates space a family of chemical building blocks greatly used to make polyurethane products, such together rigid and also flexible foams, coatings, adhesives, sealants and elastomers. Numerous of the products we count upon every work are more secure and more comfortable through the usage of polyurethanes made possible through diisocyanates.”

NOTE: no all Gorilla™ products contain diisocyanates; in addition there are countless other brands of assets that save on computer diisocyanates. We describe Gorilla™ Glue as the most recognizable brand name for a diisocyanate-containing adhesive product.

You are watching: Is gorilla glue toxic to humans

What’s unique around diisocyanates is their capacity to administer an “expanding” home to one adhesive. Commodities such together Gorilla™ glue are great choices because that filling in gaps and also getting a solid and lasting seal. This same broadening property is what reasons trouble when pets ingest the product.

What Happens once It’s Swallowed?

With Gorilla™ Glue and other diisocyanate-containing adhesive products, ours main issue isn’t about the toxicity of the product – back it can definitely cause irritation to the skin, eyes, respiratory tract tract, and GI tract. The main problem is the potential for a international body obstruction (or “FBO” for short).

Now, if you’ve supplied these products, you’re probably wondering what all the fuss is about. You’ve watched such commodities expand to maybe twice their initial size and then harden. Surely, a tiny blob swallowed by a dog will simply pass on v the GI tract, right? Wrong, because: the stomach provides the “ideal” moist environment for much greater growth than what you will do expect. Also a very tiny amount that ingested adhesive can increase until the stomach is totally filled, and also then the product hardens into an immovable mass that’s too huge to pass out of the stomach in one of two people direction. The an outcome is a dog v a pains belly, vomiting, and also an obstructed GI tract (unable to digest food). Simply put, of course, food have to enter, be processed by, and also then exit the GI tract to sustain life. So as soon as we’re in this situation, surgery is forced to remove the foreign body indigenous the stomach. The an excellent news is that the instance is treatable and also the prognosis is good if treated. Here to assist illustrate this is our friend, Fraser.

Fraser’s mom contacted us as soon as Fraser was discovered licking adhesive native a container of a diisocyanate-containing product. Fraser was promptly taken to his veterinarian that took ab radiographs (x-rays) which shown the presence of a large, rock-hard fixed in the stomach. Fraser had abdominal muscle surgery and also the fixed was properly removed. V his mom’s permission, we’re sharing photos of his radiographs and his adorably laugh face, below:

*

Here, Fraser is lied on his ideal side and he is encountering toward your left (his chest is on her left and also his hips are on her right). The large, dark, round area the looks choose a fried egg is Fraser’s distended stomach which has been filled with the expanded (and now rock-hard) adhesive.

*
Image courtesy the the pet Emergency Hospital of the Strand in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Here, Fraser is lie on his earlier and encountering toward you through his chest in ~ the peak of the frame and his hips at the bottom. Again, the adhesive-filled stomach is clearly shows on your best (Fraser’s left side).

See more: 2002 Chrysler Sebring Timing Belt Replacement Cost Estimate, Verify Your Identity

*
Image courtesy of the animal Emergency Hospital that the Strand in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

At critical report from Fraser’s mom, the surgery was completed and also Fraser was ago at home, resting comfortably.

What have to I do / Not perform If my Pet Swallows It?

We just love a happy finishing like Fraser’s. His mother did everything right: she did not attempt come induce vomiting (the adhesive expands an extremely rapidly, so inducing vomiting have to be done just if advised to execute so by her veterinarian or us) and she go not provide fluids (introducing water or other fluids could have caused faster and greater growth of the adhesive). Fraser’s mother contacted us within minute of the ingestion; v prompt evaluation and surgery by Fraser’s veterinarian, Fraser is expected to carry out well!