Air temperature is the most widely measured amount in the setting according come the nationwide Weather Service. People arrangement their lives approximately the temperature, indigenous picking out their apparel to planning daily activities. With temperature being so important, i think it’s important to understand just how to correctly measure it. I think you would be surprised in ~ how countless people, including experienced meteorologists, don’t fairly follow the basic guidelines laid out by the nationwide Weather Service.
You are watching: How to measure air temperature without a thermometer
The following directions apply to all types of thermometers, from classic mercury thermometers come new-age digital temperature sensors.
1. Location the thermometer 5 feet over the ground (+/- 1 ft.). A thermometer too low will certainly pick up excess heat from the ground and a thermometer too high will certainly likely have actually too cool of a temperature because of natural cooling aloft. 5 ft. Is simply right.
2. The thermometer have to be inserted in the shade. If you placed your thermometer in complete sunlight, direct radiation native the sunlight is going to result in a temperature greater than what it should be.
3. Have great air flow for your thermometer. This keeps waiting circulating approximately the thermometer, maintaining a balance v the bordering environment. Therefore, that is crucial to make sure there are no obstructions blocking your thermometer such together trees or buildings. The more open, the better.
4. Location the thermometer over a grassy or dirt surface. Concrete and also pavement tempt much an ext heat 보다 grass. That is why urban are regularly warmer compared to suburbs. That is encourage to save the thermometer at least 100 ft. From any type of paved or concrete surface to stop an erroneously high temperature measurement.
5. Keep the thermometer covered. Once precipitation falls, you execute not desire your thermometer to acquire wet together that could permanently damage it. A Stevenson screen is a good place to keep thermometers and other instruments as they provide cover as well as adequate ventilation. If friend can’t get one, a basic solar radiation shield is adequate.
And that’s it. Currently you space all temperature measuring specialists so let’s acquire out there and also start taking some readings!
Stevenson display Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen#mediaviewer/File:Stevenson_screen_exterior.JPG
You can constantly find much more weather information from us on FacebookandTwitter.
See more: Hold On Sounds Of Blackness Hold On Download, Hold On Sounds Of Blackness
Also be certain to check out our YouTube Channelfor weekly weather updates.
Learning about weather is fun! and now, you have the right to listen come weather discussions and topics in The Weather Lounge, a brand-new podcast with meteorologists and hosts Brad Miller and also Mike Mihalik. Listen here: