The Honda Accord and also its brothers the Prelude are common cars that require constant timing belt service and also replacement. My particular 1991 design requires instead of belts every 90,000 miles, while later models require it less regularly such together 100,000 to 110,000. There is additionally an age recommendation for timing belt replacement, and it usually falls at around 6 years after the vault change. A time belt project is usually (hopefully) not a repair, unless the service schedule has actually not to be followed. That should just be a continual replacement of parts which wear the end over time. The adhering to tips room pulled from my certain experiences in the time belt readjust I walk on my Accord a week ago.
You are watching: 91 honda accord timing belt replacement
The components I purchased for the time belt adjust cost about 400 dollars. Service for a timing belt readjust is quite a job, and a great estimate is that a local business shop at the dealer"s will charge you twice or an ext for the service, meaning that friend will finish up paying from $800-1,000 because that the service and also parts. If you have actually the patience and also the time, act the task yourself will save you a an excellent deal of money (although it will definitely not save you time!). Performing the time belt service yourself way having the item of psychic to recognize that every nut and bolt has been torqued to your satisfaction, and any deficient parts or missing pieces have the right to be notated together necessary. Due to the fact that mechanics are frequently paid every job, they space not most likely to be together attentive as you are.
While it absolutely saves a most money, there are also negatives to an altering the timing belt yourself. This is particularly true if you have never carry out the service before (which to be the situation for me). A few specialized tools aid out in performing a time belt service and also can certainly save time. Time is the genuine issue; it take it me and also my father around 14 hrs to complete the service this first time. Experience and also practice helps, however, and also subsequent attempts space not most likely to take together long.
If you are figured out to save the money and also perform the company yourself, climate the first step is come prepare because that the readjust ahead the time and also study it in a repair manual. Because that this service, ns purchased a Chilton Repair hands-on for the Accord and also Prelude vehicles indigenous 1984-1995. The passages have actually headings for your details vehicle in ~ the height of every section. It helps a good deal to be conscious of the service background of the vehicle. Ns recently got my Accord, and I was not conscious that the power steering and also alternator belts had actually been replaced with the previous timing belt change, so ns bought lock unnecessarily and found the older ones were still in great shape. If you understand the background of the vehicle, you should be able to tell what parts are due because that replacement.
Since the Accord has an interference engine, catastrophic damage will occur if the time belt is not adjusted according to the schedule, and also this have to never be compromised upon. The adjacent balancer belt is equally important. The water pump, oil seals, power steering and also alternator belts, and tensioners must only must be changed every two or 3 timing belt replacements. These components last longer. What should be changed every time are the previously mentioned timing and balancer belts, the oil pump sheathe o-ring, dipstick o-ring, timing tension adjusters, radiator liquid if possible, and thermostat. The hand-operated goes right into greater detail on this parts.
It is a good idea to gain to know the service and parts men at your local dealer. If you develop a friendly relationship with them while to buy parts, they will most likely offer tips and tell friend what friend really require to acquire the organization done properly. I spent a many of hours at the parts desk talking come my regional dealer, and also he aided a good deal in prepare me because that the service. Most parts are most likely stocked, however occasionally a tensioner or 2 may have to be ordered. The components will frequently arrive in ~ a work or two.
In order, the adjust goes something choose this:
(1) Disconnect an adverse battery terminal. Eliminate the bottom cowling from underneath the radiator and also drain the fluid. Save it in a container if you arrangement on reusing it.
(2) Unbolt the cruise control and move it come the side.
(3) eliminate the power steering, alternator, and also belts. Find somewhere come tuck the power steering line so the you don"t lose all her fluid.
(4) remove the rocker cover and all connected pieces.
(5) eliminate the upper and also lower time belt covers. To remove the lower, you will have to disconnect the cruise-control next motor mount and also jack the engine under some. This is a great time to inspect motor mounts; I discovered that among mine to be a little bit cracked.
(6) remove left former tire. Remove the main drive sheave nut. Good luck! girlfriend will require a enormous breaker and influence wrench because that this and someone to immobilize the flywheel and also another to use the brakes simultaneously. This seed is maintained on with around 150-160 pounds that torque and is likely rusted.
(7) remove the pulley and attending key. Change belts, seals, o-rings, adjusters, tensioners, and water pump. Inspect condition that all parts carefully.
(8) change all attendant covers and also pulley with key. Tighten main drive pulley nut with proper torque (in manual). Again, store flywheel immobile.
(9) before jacking the motor earlier up and reconnecting the mount, make sure to change the lower timing belt cover. Otherwise, friend will have to go earlier a few steps in order to gain it on. It just won"t fit with the wheelwell otherwise.
(10) Make certain all time marks space at the right spot, then give it a test run for a couple of seconds.
(11) replace all parts, then take it because that a test drive.
Some problems my father and I had were together follows: first, we spent some hrs tracking down an affect wrench powerful enough to gain that substantial main drive wheel nut off. Honda has actually a special device for it, yet it is really expensive. At first, we assumed the water pump was manufactured incorrectly, however it turned out that the simply had actually some extra metal hanging turn off of the from the casting process that prevented that from seating properly. This had to it is in filed off. Many water pumps probably have this issue. I currently mentioned the lower timing belt, yet it bear repeating. Placed it earlier first! You"ll it is in tired and frustrated by this point, and also the last thing you want to do is forget it and also waste more time.
As you traction old parts off, keep in mind their condition and whether lock have any unusual or extreme wear. Probably theonly part that truly to be worn out and due for replacement to be the oil pump cover O-ring. This ring is asquare-shaped item of rubber, butheat andtime had actually baked mine till it had the consistency of difficult plastic. Therewas leaking in this area.You may notice that the time belt has practically no stay (this is how mine was). Don"t be frustrated; you are doing the appropriate thing by replacing it on time. There is merely no method to tell as soon as the belt will break, and it isn"t precious the risk. As soon as you take the automobile out for a test drive, that will most likely idle differently and also drive more sharply because that the first couple of miles. This is normal.
See more: What Does Cl Mean In The Metric System Unit Abbreviations, Is A Liter Bigger Than A Centiliter
I fan some finishing credits to mine car, the one that made this finding out experience possible. The is a 1991 burgundy 4-doorAccord LX, 2.2L 4-cylinder with a 5-speed stick. It currently has 271,000 miles on it, gets in between 34 and 36 miles per gallon, and also is top top its fifth driver (me!). I just performed its third timing belt change, and also it still has actually the initial clutch and also engine, no rebuilds. The Accord is absolutely a reliable car. An excellent luck on her future car maintenance, and also I hope this guide has provided you through some useful information!
Kessler, Will. "Honda Accord/Prelude 1984-95 repair Manual." 1995. Newbury Park, CA: Haynes phibìc America.